Saturday, March 29, 2008

Tour de Pink!!

Riding 220 miles from Hershey, PA to New York City makes people's jaws drop when I tell them it's what I did last fall, and it is what I will do again this coming September.

I'm riding the Tour de Pink. It's a Hershey's-sponsored ride that benefits the Young Survival Coalition, a non-profit organization that helps young women battle breast cancer.

Last year, I met Karen and Courtney, among many other wonderful folks, who are cancer survivors. Their stories are inspirational, and we remain good friends, looking forward to riding the tour together again this year.

Last week, I got together with Karen and Courtney, both of whom live in New York, and they told me about this site-- http://www.christinebenjaminphoto.com/. Christine is a photographer and rider, who is a survivor of breast cancer. Among her other works, she now respectfully photographs women in various stages of their journey against breast cancer. At first, the images are jarring. In a society that is obsessed with perfectly sculpted women's bodies, there is also the harsh reality of life. Some women get sick, and their bodies turn on themselves. But they are no less beautiful. No less powerful. And these pictures show they are even more impactful in life.

If you'd like to donate and help sponsor my ride, click on the right under "My Fave Sites." Thanks.

No comments: