Monday, August 4, 2008

Kitchen Confidential

I just finished reading Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. I laughed, didn't cry, and will certainly not entertain the thought of becoming a chef anymore. Ever. I didn't join the Army because I don't like people yelling at me all the time. I'm certainly not going to become a chef for the same reason.

Let's face it, though. Bourdain is an asshole. He plays one on the Foodnetwork. Well, he's playing himself. And it continues on in his book. The thing is, I like him for it. He's the kind of guy that you could get into a bloody brawl, complete with hair pulling and the scratching of eyes, one night, and the next day, everything is cool and the gang. I mean, I've broken up with some friends for less than that.

He's also the kind of guy that will tell you like it is, brutality and all. He won't care that he hurt your feelings, but you'll get the truth. How many times will you have wondered where you stand with someone? Not here.

I enjoyed the travails of his younger self. I, too, am surprised he's still alive. Shocked, really. This book is an enjoyable read. It doesn't change my entire essence of self, but I have a much broader appreciation for what goes on in the kitchen. I think the next time I go by a fine restaurant, I'll start yelling vulgarities into the kitchen. According to the book, that should give me VIP treatment. We'll see what happens...

No comments: