Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Dieting Food Critic

So I work at a candy company, I am a food critic, and I'm solidly in my 30s. Is it any wonder that I have issues with my weight? The thing is that I just don't know how to adjust. As a chubby kid, I started working out and voila! I was thin.

Today, I'm training for a 220-mile bike ride from Hershey, PA to New York City, and I've managed to gain 5 lbs. How is that possible?

In my voracious reading of all things dieting a few months ago, I think I really screwed myself up. Now I don't remember what I ate when I was thin just a few years ago. I don't know how it was that I didn't gain weight. Possibly because I was working at a beauty care company, and I didn't get paid to eat? Possibly.

But perhaps more importantly, out the door has gone my willpower. I vaguely remember eating just a medium soup and side salad when I was in my early 20s. Perhaps I have fallen into the "Supersize Me" trap. Perhaps I just want to enjoy life, and I perceive that enjoyment to be through good food.

My love for food is equalled by my fear of it. It's a strange paradox.

2 comments:

kzfone said...

It's always an ongoing battle. I know.

Ken

laura said...

Training for a 22-mile marathon, wow that's amazing. I've never ran a marathon before but I watched a few, lol.
I work for Stacker 2 and its extremely important to us to help people succeed at losing weight. Come check out www.Stacker2.com. Try the Appulos Diet and Energy. It could help you lose weight and increase your energy so you can be in control. Its awesome. By the way is your under 18, nursing or pregnant do not use.