Friday, October 17, 2008

Tour de Pink: Rider’s Log - Day 3

Trenton, NJ to Lebanon, NJ – 47 miles

It was the last day with any significant mileage. The sun was shining from the get go, and it turned out to be one of the most beautiful days and one of the most beautiful routes I’ve ever ridden. It was almost entirely backroads that went by farms, crossed little brooks, and passed through quaint towns. The hills were minor in comparison to the first day and a half, and it made those hills just a faint memory. I’m sure that it was probably at this point in time last year when I thought, hey, yeah, I’m totally going to do this again next year!

Earlier in the ride, Frankie Andreu, a retired professional cyclist, rode with us for a while. Instead of letting testosterone take over and treating this ride like it was a race, he rode with the cycling proletariat the whole time. He flagged down the SAG wagons for folks who needed help, he pushed others up the hills – he was just an all around great guy. On this last day, we hit a short, steep hill, and I geared down. He was checking out my gearing and said, “You should gear all the way down to the granny gear.” I said, “No, I don’t like going there.” He shrugged his shoulders and went on his way. After he rode out of earshot, Jill said, “So, the professional rider tells you to gear down, and you totally blow him off.” What can I say…

When we rolled into Deer Park, the destination of the day, it was one big party. Folks were barbecuing, hanging around, laying in the grass, it was great. And I promptly flung myself onto the massage table…

No comments: