Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cafe Gia's in Baltimore's Little Italy

There's a great little casual place in Little Italy that has a very unique dish that sets it apart from the rest of the Italian places in which I've had the pleasure of dining.

The atmosphere is intimate and cozy, and on a beautiful night, the large windows make it feel like you're outside.  This dish...is the amazing one.  It's Lobster and Crab Ravioli in a balsamic vinegar and CURRY sauce.  Curry, I said.  It's so uniquely amazing and crazy delicious.  Sweetness from the balsamic vinegar, pungent aroma from the curry.  This thing is rich, luscious, and deadly.  Really, I mean it - it has a lot of heart-clogging fat and cream, man.  Nevertheless, I'll be back for this delicacy.  It's unreplicated elsewhere.


Don't get me wrong, though.  The other dishes were quite good in their own right.  Here's their Gnocchi in Bolognese sauce.  I was perfectly happy with this guy until I tasted the Ravioli, which wasn't my order, of course.  But this was certainly healthier, and given the equation of nutrition + taste, this would take the cake.  Meaty, balanced, with a good tomato flavor that was stripped of the acidity.  Good, but I've had it before from any number of great restaurants.  


The final item of note for the evening - because the grilled octopus didn't blow my socks off - the wine.  I had originally wanted a Montepulciano since I've been in love with it ever since my visit to the Monica's Trattoria in Boston.  Alas, they didn't have it, but they did have this goody good.  We polished this off between the two of us quickly and efficiently.  Like the James Bond of the drinking world.  If only...



410 S High St
Baltimore, MD 21202-4335
(410) 685-6727

No comments: