Sunday, February 27, 2011

Wish you were On Orange...

When someone told me that Wish You Were Here had closed down, I was a little dumbfounded.  I love that breakfast joint, and it saddened me to hear that I may not ever get a bite of those toothsome Swedes, or the ethnic flair in the Indian omelette.  I was, to be truthful, crushed.

A few years ago, during my food critic days, I had written an article about Wish You Were Here - click to see.

And now, sitting in its place, is On Orange, which is remarkably similar, except that the interior got a facelift and the feel is a tad bit not-as-grungy.  I like it just fine.  And the best part?  The Swedes are still there, only instead of bananas, stewed apples.  Fine, whatever, they're just as delicious.



The Indian omelette has made the cut and is still its piquant self.  For those who are watching their carb intake, you can now replace the potatoes with roasted tomatoes, and they're delicious.  Roasted with rosemary and garlic.  You can't go wrong there.  They've also left the bread alone, and you can still get a thick slice of 7 grain.  Yeah, man!  And then there's a new addition, among others - Chilaquiles.



In my travels to Mexico, I was enamored with Chilaquiles, mostly because I liked saying it.  Chee-La-KEE-lace.  So I'd order it all the time and then end up disappointed because while I liked to say the name, I didn't actually like tortilla chips soaked in a red sauce.  But at On Orange, they've added a little twist, with chorizo, queso, and two eggs on top!  The best Chilaquiles I've ever had, in or out of Mexico!    It just goes to show how much a myriad of protein added to something can work wonders.  That, and maybe a little Americanization.  I can't believe I just wrote that...

I'm so glad my favorite breakfast joint is back.  Less Woodstocky, but still Woodstocky enough.  And now, on First Fridays, they offer a prix fixe dinner starting at 5:30PM.  They bring in chefs and they create a menu for the evening.  It's a really brilliant idea.  It's a really brilliant place.

On Orange
108 W. Orange Street, Lancaster

No comments: