Friday, July 23, 2010

Lunch at the Singhs

If you're looking for the best Indian of Central PA, you're a tad out of luck, because it's at the Singh House in Hummelstown, and I'm fairly certain they wouldn't enjoy random people showing up at their home looking for good Indian eats.  Fortunately, we are not random people, and just had the most lovely lunch.


On the left, a Northern-Indian style chicken stew that was mild in heat, but rich in flavor and spices. 

On the right, shrimp in more of a Southern-Indian style, which utilizes mustard seeds and curry leaves.  Koel turned up the heat on this one, knowing Eric was a fiend for food that can blow one's head off.  I'm glad it wasn't too hot because though I like spicy foods, I also like to enjoy it without pain.  Perhaps my favorite dish, but not by much.


Cauliflower & Potato Bhujiya.  Tender and flavorful, Koel starts with cutting up potatoes and cauliflower into bite sized pieces...

Okay, so I was supposed to go there and get a bit of a cooking lesson.  I ended up eating and talking.  I'm sorry!  I can't help it!  Next time - less eating, more learning.

Anyway, I will have to get all of these recipes and share.





In the meantime, relish how all the food is captured individually in their own containers on one's plate.  Absolutely delectable.


Lastly, I must share this video of Aviral's mom making Roti bread.  Very cool process.  She is visiting from India and welcomed us to the Singh household with a traditional Hindi ritual.  She waved a candle in a circular motion upon our walking through the door and then dabbed some turmeric on our foreheads.  How welcoming is that?!?  Lovely woman.



No comments: