Sunday, July 11, 2010

Still the Best Sushi in the States

In response to my first "Best Sushi in the States" blog entry, the texted conversation with Tamara, my foodie wine expert friend from NYC, went like this:

"Best sushi in the states is a big claim but your photos made me drool..."

"Admittedly, never been to Blue Ribbon, which I hear is fab.  May be in NYC at end of month.  Will keep u posted."

"Great.  BTW, blue ribbon is my fav in NYC."

And sure enough, I was going to be NYC at the end of June, so we arranged for a sojourn to Blue Ribbon Sushi on Sullivan and Prince Streets in Soho. 

I was in such anticipation for the meal that I barely had a chance to drop off my things at the hotel before I was already calling Tamara about getting to Blue Ribbon, which doesn't take reservations, straight away.

We ordered a wonderful Sake - which Tamara would have to talk more about since I've forgotten everything except that it was a rarity in its being unfiltered and that it was slightly sweet and imbibingly delicious.

As for the sushi, we ordered all the classics - Spicy Tuna Roll, the Blue Ribbon Special Roll, Squid and Yellowtail sashimi, Salmon and Uni Sushi.  And you know what?  It was rather disappointing.  Honestly - the place that I had built up in my head as the panacea of sushi in all the contiguous states and beyond, the place that I had heard all the chefs hang out at after their shifts were over, was utterly disappointing.  There was no nuance that I could praise as capturing the spirit and detail of an ancient Japanese secret.  There was no flash that I could adulate as bringing sushi to a whole new level.  Nothing.  It was okay.  And Tamara knew it.  She looked up and said, "You know, it's been 3 years since I've been here.  It just doesn't seem the same.  It really doesn't." 

And then she told me she was going to Ippudo in a week with a coworker of mine, and I felt an instant pang of jealously stab at my heart.  Now that place.  That place is a panacea.

No comments: