Sunday, October 10, 2010

Celebrate with Kupkakes

We just had a little shindig for Eric's birthday/graduation.  As I was prepping, I came up on the bakery section of the local Giant grocery store and was entirely intrigued by their Novelty Kupkakes.  Check this out - they fashion the cupcakes in a design and then layer the icing on top of it so that it looks like a cake!  Immediately, I thought of just how EASY this was going to be to serve!  Just pull away!  I was so excited about it I could barely sleep that night.

The next day, I called in my order.  A black mortar board with a 2010 tassle in Temple colors for the newly minted Dr.  "No problem," the cake designer said, "pick it up on Friday night."  Coolio!  Friday came, and I went to go pick it up.  The girl working the counter came back with my order with a sheepish look on her face.  When I looked at the cake, I understood the look, which said, "I'm not sure what you and the designer talked about, but I'm not sure this was what you intended, and I'm sorry that I'm going to make you pay for this."  Yes, sometimes all it takes is one look.  My key mistake?  Ordering a shape that needed straight lines.  Because don't you know, Lina, that cupcakes are round??  I found myself staring at a black blobby shape that said, "Happy Birthday Dr. Bierker."  Hmm.  

I know, you're dying to see it.  Alas, I didn't take a picture of it in its full glory.  But besides the fact that it didn't quite look how I imagined it to be, and that the black peanut butter icing stained everyone's fingers and teeth, the pulling of the cupcakes away for anyone who wanted it worked like a charm.  No cutting, no plates needed, so easy, and honestly, the cupcakes really tasted good!  Who knew how delightfully fluffy jet-black peanut butter icing could be?  Yum.   

I swear, I will only get these Kupkakes from now on.  Only I'll ask for a non-linear shape that doesn't involve black.  Lesson learned.


No comments: