Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Portion Control Issues

I'll admit it.  I have serious portion control issues.  I am married to a man who is a foot taller than I am, and yet, I often find myself eating as much as he does.  And then I wonder why my pants are a little too tight...

It's also kinda hard for the mind to adjust with the slowing of one's metabolism as we age.  Not that I'm old or anything, mind you.  Anyway, Eric and I went to Iron Hill in West Chester for their Belgian Fest a few months ago, and I decided to do the sensible thing and get something off their Healthy Selections section of the menu.  Its tagline is "Big Taste, Smaller Portions, Under 600 Calories."  I felt an excited anticipation when I ordered the Char-Grilled Angus Top Sirloin with Garlic-Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Asparagus, sun-dried tomato portabella relish and a dark Belgian ale sauce.  And then, a rude awakening...

So THIS is the right portion size, huh?  3 asparagus, 2 fingerling potatoes, and oh yes, that IS about the size of a deck of cards.  Ever since my Weight Watcher friends told me about the card trick, I never quite understood how that could possibly be.  It just didn't seem like it could be enough.  It was a good lesson and I was thankful because I had to do something to offset all the BEER we drank!  *Sigh*  It's hopeless...




No comments: