Saturday, April 9, 2011

Tipsy Pig

San Francisco is filled with a myriad of great restaurants and watering holes, but how can you not go to a place that has this emblem welcoming you in?  The Tipsy Pig has the atmosphere, knowledgeable bartenders, and good food that is unrivaled by many places.

The one thing that was most apparent at this locale is how knowledgeable all the bartenders are in both the beer AND wine realms. My general rule of thumb is that I shalt not drink wine in a bar, unless it's a wine bar.  In Central PA, that has served me very, very well.  California, though, is wine country, and for goodness sakes, if you drink anything alcoholic, you shall know about wine.  So when my friend took me there on our wine crawl, the long-haired bartender immediately set off my alarms and I was sure I would be getting a beer.  That is, until he started talking about the wines in such depth and thoroughness that I was sure I needed a glass of wine, instead.

On the food side, what shall be served at the Tipsy Pig but a whole lotta pig?  The pork sliders were quite good - moist pulled pork on sweet hawaiian bread, but they weren't so especially better than ones I'd had at expert BBQ places.  The Bacon Mac & Cheese was rich, but not too rich, creamy, but not too creamy, was fatty, but not too fat... okay, it was quite fatty, but come on now, bacon makes everything worth it.  Lastly, the Sweet Potato Fries.  Some of the best I've ever had.  

No comments: