Monday, May 23, 2011

Boston's Beehive

The Beehive is right next to my cousin's pad on Tremont and Clarendon in Boston.  The space is ultra hip with cool art adorning the walls and long sweeping drapes that give the high ceilings the drama it deserves.


Ultimately, though, all the theatrics only matter if the place is worth going back to.  I, myself, will have to take a long, long break from the Beehive, not because it's not worth going back to.  On the contrary, it's so fun and lively that it engendered a night out that I am no longer adept to occasion in my aging disposition.  Want to know what took me over the edge?  This right here.



Our bartender was attentive and hardly steered me wrong all night.  The duck dish was well prepared.  It had that delectable crispiness to the skin, the flesh was exactly medium rare, who doesn't love rice soaked in meat juice, but the plum sauce... I was craving the plum sauce to be just a tad sweeter to balance the savoriness of the dish.  For that alone, I can't say it was fantastic.  Too picky?  Maybe.  But you know what WAS fantastic?

This right here.  


Yes, getting back to my original point.  After my meal accompanied with a small glass of Paulaner Witt Bier, I was a happy, happy customer.  But then I, my cousin, and his partner decided, hey, let's just stay for one more drink.  Just one more.  So I turned to my charismatic and helpful bartender and said, "I think I can trust you to just make up a drink for me.  I like sweet and sour, that's what you get."  He said, "I have just the thing for you..."  

Apparently it starts with the Aviation as its foundation, but takes out the Creme de Violet, and replaces it with Aperol.  Add some Lillet and finish it off with a Champagne float and voila!  Here's the drink of the night that was appropriately named the Little Lina.  I'm sorry that's not helpful in your ordering the drink in the future at all, because you see, it's likely named the Little Shannon or the Little Natasha at this point...
But I care not, because this was the most delicious, most fragrant, most balanced cocktail I had had in a long time.  It was soooo delicious, fragrant, and balanced, that I found myself drinking THREE of them.  

If I have the opportunity to return, I shall tell them to call this the Little Lina With A Big Whopping Headache the Next Morning.  I'm still not sure I've recovered adequately enough to do so...

541 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02116
(617) 423-0069

No comments: