Sunday, May 22, 2011

Other Houston Call-outs

I may have eaten at Treebeard's disproportionately given the number of total meals, but hey, good is good and I can appreciate that.


But here are a few other standouts:


Vic & Anthony's steakhouse brings it.  Perfectly cooked medium rare rib-eye served on a piping hot plate as a shallow lake of butter surrounded it.  Their wild mushroom side is excellent and so is the Smith & Hook Syrah that paired righteously with the steak.  If you're on a budget, though, this place may break the bank...




 If Vic & Anthony's breaks the bank, then this next meal can be paid for out of your kid's piggy bank.  Houston has a network of underground tunnels throughout the downtown area, presumably for the exact opposite reason Minneapolis has skyways - because it can be so dangerously hot in the summer, who can blame someone for not wanting to go outside?  Fortunately, it's not just scary and dungeon-like.  Their lined with quick eats for those busy bodies on their way to the next big thing.  


One day, I decided to take a break from Treebeard's and opted for some good ol' comfort food - Chinese Dumplings.  A quick look at Yelp led me to the Star Chef Dumpling House, which I was even more inclined to patronize when I found out the owners were from Taiwan.  My parents would be proud!


I ordered a mix of pan-fried pork dumplings, seen on the left, and the steamed pork dumplings on the right for $5.95.  The pan-fried dumplings were stellar.  The skin was thin and crispy, the meat concoction in the middle was savorific, and I wished I had an entire order of them.  The steamed ones were fine, but they didn't blow me away, and I can beat those at home.  I still haven't quite figured out how to perfect the pan-fried dumplings now that I won't make them by hand anymore, so these were a great stop gap.  




Vic & Anthony's
1510 Texas Avenue
Houston, TX 77002
(713) 228-1111



Star Chef Dumpling House
930 Main St, #240
HoustonTX 77002

(713) 659-5600

No comments: